A focus on developing leadership
At Harris Clapham Sixth Form, identifying, nurturing and developing students’ leadership skills is a core aspect of our work. Leadership flows through everything we do, for example:
- teachers giving students opportunities to be independent and self-reliant, including how we use ‘prep’ to help students be prepared for their sessions
- it is integrated into our values of Courage, Commitment and Confidence
- built into our cultural perspectives, sport and enrichment.
We have a dynamic and meaningful student leadership body. Led by the two Senior Prefects, this group is a voice for inclusion and change. There are also a range of wider leadership roles across the academy where any student can put themselves forward. Again, these roles are meaningful and a genuine part of the running of the academy.
The above is not enough. In our Sixth Form we go above and beyond in our endeavours for students to become leaders. We have:
- Sports Leaders qualifications whereby students train and then are involved in delivering sport sessions to other sixth formers
- Leadership Skills Programme in English, mathematics and science whereby students can train to enable them to tutor/support younger students at Harris Clapham
- Duke of Edinburgh scheme
- Young Enterprise company programme
- Woman in Leadership – we are developing partnerships with business, industry and higher/further education to inspire our young women
- Social action groups where students can take on projects to make a difference to their local communities, inside and outside the academy.
All our initiatives around leadership help students to find themselves, their voice and to learn how to work with other people. We want our students to believe and go on to be the future leaders of business, charities, Secretary of States and/or the Prime Minister. Be the best!